Monday, January 11, 2010

Something Floral for Mom

I wanted to make a floral lap quilt for my mom. Using a jellyroll of Wildwood fabrics and inspired by a quilt and tutorial from Cluck Cluck Sew, I made this!
The front is made of 5 X 4 blocks with sashing. It's 64 X 52 inches. My photo assistant is MIA, so here's the best I could get of the whole blanket.
The back was made of various prints from the same collection and leftover jellyroll bits.

In total I used one jelly roll, 1 yard each of 2 different fabrics (for the back), 1 yard of the pink (for the back and for binding), plus about 1 yard (?? I wasn't keeping track) of white for sashing.

Because the strips were precut and all different prints, making the quilt top was fun. I didn't have to worry too much about fabric placement or cutting crooked pieces. The only thing that frustrated me was that the strips frayed after I pre-washed them. Not only did I lose valuable fabric but I had to spend time snipping loose threads. There must be a better way.

And so I googled. Although I always pre-wash fabrics, there were numerous debates about whether to pre-wash precut pieces. I found this answer on the Moda
website.

Do you need to pre-wash Moda precut fabrics?
Moda precuts are not meant to be pre-washed and patterns do not require you to do so. Washing precuts prior to use could result in fraying and is not recommended.

Ahhh!! If I have known this earlier!

Do you usually pre-wash all your fabrics?

1 comment:

peonyhui said...

Peggy I love it too!!! Way too pretty.